Providence Presbyterian Church is approximately 200 members strong. Women are active in every aspect of life and service at Providence Church.
The Providence chapter of Presbyterian Women (PPW) sponsors and coordinates many opportunities for fellowship and service together. Every woman attending Providence is considered a welcome member of the chapter. The PPW calendar year runs from September to August; officers commit to serve one-year terms. PPW activities currently include the following:
- Bible Study -- Is conducted on the third Tuesday of each month from September to May during our Circle Meetings. Day Circle is held at 10:00am; Night Circle at 7:00pm. Both Circle meetings are conducted in the Upper Fellowship Hall.
- Prayer Shawl Circle -- Takes place on the fourth Tuesday of each month. We meet at 10:00am in the Lower Fellowship Hall. We take a break in June, July and August. (Any other exceptions to the schedule are posted in the bulletin and the weekly email. The PPW schedule is also posted on the PPW bulletin board in the hallway leading to the Upper Fellowship Hall.) Together we enjoy a time of fellowship while we crochet “lapghans” for distribution to folks who are dealing with illness or injury.
- Advent Decorating -- Is coordinated by the PPW and takes place on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. We enjoy a small brunch together afterwards.
- Poinsettia Purchases -- Take place each November. The plants are purchased by members of the congregation through the agriculture program at West Johnston High School. They are left on display in the church through the Advent Season. PPW coordinates the purchase, display and disposition of the poinsettias.
- Annual Christmas Gift Bags-- Are assembled by the PPW and given during the holiday season to folks in the church who are infirmed.
- Chicken Pastry & Silent Auction Fundraiser -- Is a very successful annual event at Providence, coordinated by the PPW. As are all annual fundraisers, this event is supported by the whole congregation.
- Bake Sales -- Are coordinated and executed by PPW at the Chicken Pastry & Silent Auction, the men’s annual Fish Fry and the Youth’s annual BBQ.
- Lifetime Service Honor-- Is typically bestowed annually on a member who has demonstrated a consistent life of service through the ministries at Providence. An ad hoc committee of PPW members conducts the process from search to final presentation.
In addition to opportunities outlined above, women at Providence Church also enjoy socializing together throughout the year. The women of the church are very active in serving in the wide variety of ministries available at Providence. There is a place for everyone to plug in and become an integral part of the life of service at Providence Presbyterian Church. Join us in our journey as we do our human best to live the life espoused in our church mission statement.
2017-2018 Moderator, Providence Presbyterian Women